Reckless Abandon LLC
- Qelline Alderlead, my aunt, has a farm in Phandalin. He has grown to be very fond of his aunt and would do anything for her. I always give her some of my ill-gotten gains if possible. I seek her approval and love. She must never know the deeds I did as a member of the Redbrands.
- The Tosscobbles are a very large family. Welby’s parents are very fruitful. He has siblings all over the Sword Coast and a few beyond. Some of his siblings still live in Cobblesburg. Welby is currently traveling with his brother Cade, a warlock. He also has a sorcerer brother named Finnan (Finn for short). Welby has a sister he is very fond of named Cora.
- Welby has criminal contacts in Phandalin, Baldur’s Gate, Waterdeep, and Neverwinter. Discuss this with DM.
- I never have a plan, but I’m great at making things up as I go along. Also, the best way to get me to do something is to tell me I can’t do it.
- People. I’m loyal to my friends, not to any ideals. Everyone else can take a trip on the River Styx for all I care.
- Criminal Contact. You have a contact who acts as your liaison to a network of other criminals. You know how to get messages to and from your contact, even over great distances; you know the local messengers, corrupt caravan masters, and seedy sailors who can carry messages for you. You can move secret information or stolen goods through your contact in exchange for money or other information you seek.
Welby Tosscobble was born in the halfling village of Cobblesburg to his parents, Corrin and Nedda Tosscobble. At a young age, due to his unruliness and mischievousness, Welby was sent to the town of Phandalin to live with his aunt, Qelline Alderlead, to help work on her farm after her husband, Garret Alderlead died.
The town of Phandalin is built on the ruins of an older settlement, vacant for five centuries until some hardy settlers set about rebuilding it some years back. Drawn by stories of gold and platinum in the nearby foothills, you joined a gang calling itself the Redbrands to prey on those who struck it rich. Welby made some decent coin as a burglar and enforcer, and specialized as the Redbrands main fence in Phandalin. But you must have made an enemy among your fellow Redbrands. Someone set you up. On that person’s word, the head of the Redbrands—a wizard called Glasstaff—tried to have you killed. You escaped, barely alive and thanking Tymora, the goddess of good fortune, for your luck. You fled Phandalin, almost penniless and with only the tools of your trade to your name.
Personal Goal: Get Your Revenge. Someone in the Redbrands nearly got you killed, and you sure would like to know who it was (discuss with DM). And then you’d like to take your revenge—on that person, on Glasstaff, maybe on all the Redbrands. And you just got a tip that might help you: someone named Halia Thornton also has it out for the Redbrands. She lives in Phandalin, which means showing your face to the Redbrands who still want you dead.
Alignment: Neutral. You tend to do whatever seems best at the time. Sure, you’ve done some things you’re not proud of, and you’re not personally committed to making the world a better place. But you have no interest in causing suffering or making things worse than they already are.